Hi, I’m Ellie!
It’s good to meet you! After reading several blogs of this nature I thought it would be best to identify myself, the author. I’ll be posting some pictures of me and my wife and I would hate to be months down the line with people picturing the wrong person behind the words! It would get ever so confusing.
I am 27, wife to Charlotte (aka Wifey) and a Mumma in waiting!
I am currently undertaking an MSc in Occupational Therapy.
I will be the Non-bio mum. I am as maternal as could be, but I have absolutely no desire to be pregnant. I am far to squeamish and have a very low pain threshold. I’d seriously be a nightmare. Since Wifey has always wanted to carry her own baby, we make the perfect team!
Some random facts about me:
- I am 1 of 6 kids. I love having a big family! We don’t always all get on, but when we do it’s a hoot. We have the best get-togethers!
- Number 1 on my bucket list is to hike the Pacific Crest Trail. Quite how I will do that with a child in tow, I haven’t figured out yet.
- I generally love to travel anywhere. Although booking holidays is always a challenge for us as I have commitment issues because I want to go everywhere and cannot choose!!
- Wifey and I have a dream to emigrate to Canada one day to raise our kids! That’s the long term plan.
- I was named after a shipwreck. Ellie is actually just an abreviation of my real name (Elissa).
- I am a massive country music fan, something I often get stick for as the Brits just don’t get it!
- I wouldn’t describe myself as an activist as I don’t think I’m ‘active’ enough to qualify. But I would describe myself as present in the fight for equal rights. LGBT, Black Lives Matter, Feminism. I try to be political as a way to keep the cause moving and I am always trying to educate myself and do the work on myself as I think the hard work starts at home. At the end of the day, equality is important for me and my family and I want it for everyone.
- I love to read – always looking for recommendations. I read anything! I am reading a lot of black rights literature at the moment in an attempt to broaden my perspective and really get to grips with my white privilege (yes it’s real)!
- I came out to my family when I was 18 years old. They have been nothing but supportive ever since. In fact I think my parents might be more PRIDE(proud) than me! I am intensely aware of how lucky I am!
- I love food and drink. Seriously! I’m into learning about as well as consuming! Wine, beer, cocktails. And there is nothing more that I love than a great meal. When we go away we will research for days the best places to eat. And we can’t deny ourselves a Michelin restaurant or too! (That kind of spending will have to stop once we have a baby)!
Anyway, I hope that has given you a tiny snapshot of who I am. I am looking forward to having a place to put my thoughts down as this is going to be a long, intense journey I feel!